Thursday, August 25, 2005

Wet Floor

At the place I used to work, there was this older Russian guy who handled all the cleaning. He took out the garbage, vaccumed, dusted, you name it. I have to say that he was a really great guy, and he had an amazingly positive attitude considering all he did all day long was clean up after us pigs.

Anyway, his name was pronounced SIM-EE-ON, like the word "Simian." The spelling of his name, however, was a different matter: "Semen." Yep. Like, you know... jizz. My co-workers and I would giggle uncontrollably every time an email came around with his name on it.

I once tried to politely ask this nice, nice man about the spelling of his name, and he said "When I come to this country, my boss, he say "Semen, the name... is no good..." I know... I know. But is my name, you know?"

I figured, if he was cool with the name, who was I to judge? So my co-workers and I put the matter to rest and stopped giggling over his name. Like I said, he was maybe the nicest man on earth, and we all really loved him. So no more with the giggling.

Until he put up the sign.

One day, Semen had to mop and wax the hardwood floor in the office of the VP. Being a thoughtful sort of dude, he put up a notice to warn anyone entering the office, and then, I suppose so they'd know it was for real, he signed it.

Here it comes... Get ready...



It was several years ago now, but I'm pretty sure I physically collapsed when I saw the sign. And then of course, I regained my composure and took a picture.

12 Comments:

Blogger acw said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!

(breathe)

Ha ha ha ha ha!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

that is fabulous... in a sick twisted kind of way =)

good thing I am sick and twisted!

I love it!

5:50 PM  
Blogger CommonWombat said...

Paul just informed me (testily, I might add) that HE took that picture, and not me. This is entirely possible. It just makes me look like a douche for taking credit.

Well, play to your strengths, I always say. If the douche fits, I shall wear it!

6:11 PM  
Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

HA!

semen!

HA!

my friend's grandpa is named hymen and i still laugh when ever he comes up in conversation.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Twinkle Twinkle Little Star said...

I stumbled on your blog via Undercover Celebrity and I've already become engrossed in the back-reading of some of your other blogs. You are one funny guy...even if you didn't have the presence of mind to take the picture on which you built your humor yourself (but honestly who would in a moment like that? Apparantly, Paul would. Sharp cookie, that one).

Anyways, I look forward to more.

6:13 AM  
Blogger leesepea said...

Hehheehe.

Very funny!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

So, did he understand "why is bad name"?
Maybe he just thought his boss didn't like it.

Either way, very funny.

Is he still around, I'd really like someone to clean my house and leave me humorous signs:

Drain is clogged. Semen

Stain on carpet. Semen

Ran out to get cream for coffee. Semen

(did that take it too far?) :)

2:34 PM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

What a scream! Reminds me of the former England goalkeeper named Seaman pronounced SEMEN. Imagine 50,000 people chanting SEMEN :)

6:42 PM  
Blogger karla said...

I used to work in this store where we had to take customer orders and fill out an order form to go along with the order. I asked for a name for this one customer, and usually people will quickly announce their first and last name, but she just said "Cindy." So I suspected it was either a hard-to-spell or embarassing name, but I needed it, so I asked for the last name. She was incredibly careful to enunciate her last name, which she pronounced to rhyme with "rouge," but spelled it "H-O-G-G." I had to lock every muscle in my body to control myself from rolling my eyes her and saying, "Come on lady. It's "Hogg." (You know, pronouncing it to rhyme with dog.) This chick must have spent her entire day every day trying to convince people her last name rhymed with "rouge."

8:59 PM  
Blogger CommonWombat said...

UC: you just jiggled it. I'll explain what that means in my next blog entry.

Karla: I don't know what that lady was so embarassed about... Hogg isn't such a bad name... A co-worker of mine actually went to school with a dude named Tony Getaboni. Now THAT'S some shit I would keep to myself.

3:07 PM  
Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

TONY GETABONI!!!!!!!


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

i love it

12:00 AM  
Blogger karla said...

Un. Fucking. Believable.

Wow.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home