Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Dookies!!!

As my best friend Paul likes to point out (repeatedly and at great length), I have a bit of an obsession with poop. I can't deny it. I don't mean "obsession" in the "rolling around in it" sense. Let's please be very clear about that. My enjoyment of poop does not extend in any way to wearing it, smelling it, touching it or (shudder) eating it. I do quite like to talk about it though... Furthermore, I seem to have this uncanny ability to steer any conversation I'm involved in, regardless of topic or context, inexorably poop-ward.

I would like very much to think that this is because I recognize the unique comic properties of poop... It is a social taboo, yet it's something that all of us share and experience... We are embarrased by it, yet we all do it daily (or nearly daily, for you clenchers out there)... It's also an extremely cheap and easy laugh. Especially if you're Sally. Those of you who have met my wife know what I mean.

Paul has another theory, one based on a story from my childhood. As much as I hate to admit it, his theory isn't entirely far fetched. I'd like to offer up this story (and Paul's theory) to you, my Blog-Buddies, and ask you to weigh in.

The year was... Well, it was a while ago, and I was just a toddler. Maybe 2 years old. The day was hot and sticky, and my mother was beside herself with excitement. The reason for this excitement was that my mother, for the first time in her life, was about to enter the posh Baltimore Country Club. My grandparnets, her in-laws, were members, and they had decided to allow my mom (and her beautiful baby boy) to use their membership and spend a day by the pool, hob-nobbing among the Baltimore elite. (Is there such a thing as an elite in this town?)

This was a big deal for my mom. I think she probably felt in many ways like she had finally arrived, so to speak. And so there she was at last, by the pool. Waiters were carrying drinks to the sunbathing mothers... The whole place, I'm sure, smelled like suntan lotion and money... My mother squeezed my chubby arms into a pair of floaties (remember floaties?) and plopped me into the wading pool. Then she picked out a nice lounge chair in a sunny spot and commenced with the well-heeled relaxing.

This lasted all of, I don't know, 3 minutes or so, before there was a huge commotion over in the wading pool. Some older kids (older than me... like 4?) were screaming "Dookies, dookies!!!" All the mothers came rushing over, and there I was, sitting in the middle of the pool, surrounded my 4 or 5 little floating turds. Yup. I grumped in the Baltimore Country Club's wading pool. Moms began snatching their children out of the now contaminated pool... My poor mother was, at this point, splashing around trying to scoop up the offending nuggests... I, of course, was just floating there, happy as a jaybird... And the whole thing was going down to that chorus of "Dookies, dookies!!!"

A scant 2 minutes later and there I was in my baby seat with my mortified mother screaming at me as we tore out of the gates of the Baltimore Country Club.

To this very day, my friends, she has never gone back. Although, to be fair, I'm pretty sure she's forgiven me by now.

Okay there's the story. It's cute, and a little funny... But now we get to Paul's theory. He insists that this is the exact moment in my young formative life where I equated poop with attention.

When he told me this, I opened my mouth to tell him to go fuck himself, but then fell silent. Shit. Shit, he's got a point.

Anybody want to ring in on this one? Am I comedicaly enlightened, or am I the turd-centric version of Pavlov's dogs?

As an aside, I want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed meeting many of my fellow Balti-bloggers at the happy hour last night. You is my dawgs now. ACW however, is the dawg that I'm keeping chained up in the back yard, because frankly that fucker has a scary brain.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's Baker's therapist here, helping him through his issues one at a time. Honestly, when he first told me that story, the first thing I thought was that he was in a very formative period at that point in his life. Who wouldn't respond to an entire pool party chanting about something you just did? To know Baker, and to dine with him often, is to understand that he seems to take a certain almost subconcious glee in bringing the conversation around to the size, smell and color of his latest bowel movement, right as you're taking that last bite of your meal. You know, the one you've been saving up, that has a little bit of each thing on the plate...the one you want to savor? Then, just in time for dessert, he tells you how he called Sally into the bathroom to look at it too. Theirs is a special relationship.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Zenchick said...

"ACW however, is the dawg that I'm keeping chained up in the back yard, because frankly that fucker has a scary brain"
Um...kettle, POT is on the phone for you!
I found it slightly scary to see the two of you together.
And expect me to come picket your house soon for your better half to start her blog. :-)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

"grumping" and "offending nuggets" equal positive soul pervasion for me.

THAT is hilarious!

When I was four and my sister was two we took baths together. She used to... shall we say, save up some grumping to release into the bath water at JUST the right moment. She would laugh that evil little laugh of hers.

My mom must have told me not to get out of the bathtub because I remember standing on my tip-toes in the corner of the bathtub so as to avoid the offending nuggets. The horror!

6:47 PM  
Blogger leesepea said...

LOL

I have no poop story, but I am a fan of poop humor.

I think I must equate comments with attention.

Consider this a little blog "grumping," as I bestow you with my own "offending nuggets."

Hahahahhahhahahahhahahhaahhaa!

8:37 PM  
Blogger karla said...

That Paul sounds like quite the armchair psychologist--and he sounds dead-on. So much so, that it gives me an idea. I like attention as much as the next guy, and my neighbors across the street often invite us over to swim in their pool. Hmmm. Yes, I think my little scheme will get me noticed. Thank you, Wombat.

8:54 PM  
Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

my sister crapped in the tub too.

little witch.

when i went to sleepover camp they used to dump tootsie rolls in the pool and tell us someone had "grumped." then one of the counselors would swim down to the bottom, grab one and eat it.

i was permanently scarred.

12:50 AM  
Blogger acw said...

Man, that was an hilarious story. I have a similar one to put up tomorrow for my brother's 23rd birthday. Be sure to check it.

11:17 AM  
Blogger CommonWombat said...

In regards to Paul's post, I'd like to point out that Sally makes ME look at her grumps, and not the other way around.

As has been pointed out many times, we have a special relationship.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I make him look at my grumps. So what? Sometimes they look like baby arms with tiny, stumped thumbs on the ends. I'd just like to point out, however, that my husband likes to watch me put tampons in. Now, what's really grosser than that?

- Sally

12:00 PM  
Blogger CommonWombat said...

OH

MY

GOD.

I'm never blogging again.

1:35 PM  
Blogger acw said...

I have been OFFICIALLY freaked. The fuck. Out.

(Also, the last few comments are hilarious.)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Zenchick said...

we're just finding ACW's edges all over the place. It's a bit unsettling.
(and Sally...you ROCK. Might you want to start a blog? ;-) )

8:16 PM  
Blogger karla said...

Wombat, the only way to save face at this point is to make a big deal out of announcing that your wife was lying her ass off with that tampon comment. Say it wasn't really your wife who posted the comment, or that she's an alcoholic with anger issues, or that she's just trying to get back at you for cheating on her with her mom. Please. Tell us she was lying. I need you to say it.

1:03 AM  
Blogger karla said...

SAY IT!!!

1:03 AM  
Blogger CommonWombat said...

I've spent a while now trying to come up with a way to explain that the tampon thing isn't quite what Sally made it sound like, but you know what? I'm not going to explain myself. You people can interperet that comment however the fuck you like. Imagine me as a truly nice and wonderful person, or imagine me as a tampon-sniffing lunatic, either way is okay with me.

Oh yeah, and um... I have NO IDEA who that crazy woman posting under the name "Sally" is. In the future, disregard anything she says.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Wait tampon SNIFFING?
No one said anything about sniffing.

You are a sick little wombat.

12:58 PM  
Blogger CommonWombat said...

Okay, I just can't win in this thread....

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home