Thursday, December 08, 2005

Stating the obvious...

Someone tangentially related to my extended family died last night... Not someone I was close to, not someone I had even met. More of a "son of an aunt's best friend" kind of thing. I did not know him at all, really, but it was sudden, and he was young. Way too young for a sudden demise. Left behind a wife, kids, mom, friends...

This is completely and totally and unhelpfully stating the obvious, but this sort of thing always causes you sort of lift your eyes up from ground level and makes you notice that very very thin thread everything you have and love is hanging by.

Don't dwell on that thread. Notice it and go back to not thinking about it, because that is how you get on with life, but please, please do what I did today and go up to the one you love and kiss them and make a silent vow to enjoy every second you get with them.

Like I said, stating the obvious. Just do it anyway and do it often. Do it often enough that it doesn't take an untimely death to remind you to do it.

PS: Don't worry about me, I'm fine. Just taking a moment to point this blog in the direction of something useful. Back to poop jokes and scorn for humanity tomorrow, I promise.

6 Comments:

Blogger acw said...

When I'm struck with a thought like this, I always find ACWF and give her a kiss. I try to remember to show her that I love her every time I think it.

You can all vomit now.

10:02 AM  
Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

yeah, i'm vomiting all over my self when i'm not too busy being jealous that your women have men who possess actual feelings.

12:54 PM  
Blogger karla said...

A friend of mine died in a car wreck when I was 16, and it totally changed my life to lose him. We were friends but not really good friends, although he was one of the best people I'd ever met, someone everyone loved (he was 20). After the wreck, he was in a coma for 9 days, during which I absolutely knew he'd make it, and that I'd tell him how scared I'd been that we almost lost him, and that his near-death made me realize how much I cared about him, and how from then on I'd put more value on friendships like his and hang out less with the superficial people in my life. Then he died, and I never got a chance to say any of that, or be a better friend to him than I had been. There is nothing worse than feeling like something has been ripped out from under you before you even took the time to appreciate it. I was only 16 at the time, so it took me about 4 years to unravel my convoluted feelings about his death, but in the end it changed how I interact with everyone in my life. I seriously ask myself all the time, "If (insert friend/loved one's name here) died tomorrow, would I have said everything I wanted to say, and would I have done all I needed to with that time we had?" That has made all my relationships richer, and has helped me keep the important people close and the superficial friends at a distance. While his sudden death was the worst thing to happen to me, it was also the event in my life that did the most to change me for the better. And the twisted notion that something positive came from his death, however small, comforts me a little, even though a million things gained still wouldn't be worth the loss of him.

I'm so long-winded, I should get my own blog.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for the reminder.

I'd like to start with you. Wombat, thanks for being alive. Thanks for your entertaining blog.

1:37 PM  
Blogger karla said...

Okay, look--just because the subject turned a little serious doesn't mean you have to lie to the guy and tell him he's entertaining. That's only going to encourage him to post more.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that some things are better left unsaid. Not everything needs to be known. Love the people you love unconditionally. They might have problems you have no clue about. Just love.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home