Thursday, February 10, 2005

Crack of Doom!

SO the big news today, other than Prince Charles finally getting to hitched to Camilla Parker-Bowles-Thorne-Smith-Love-Hewitt is that the Virgina House of Delegates has passed a bill making wearing low-riders illegal.

Now, my understanding is that this bill still has to pass the State Senate, so I'm not going to knee-jerk too much here. But I reserve the right to knee-jerk a little.

I know that low-riders are kind of trashy and gross. I get that on 95% of the people out there they look pretty fucking dumb, and I get that generally speaking, folks just don't really want to see your undies, or that classy "Princess" tattoo you got on your ass. I get it. But when did we become a country that actually outlaws bad taste?

I'm pretty sure that part of our freedom of expression is the right to look like an absolute dipshit in public. I'm sure the puritans would debate that, but in terms of counting the freedoms that we love over here, the ones that make the terrorists quiver with outrage? Looking like a moron? Right up there on the list. Right next to listening to crappy music and having questionable piercings. Come on people! You gotta fight for your right and all that!

If you read the article I linked to above, you'll see that there's an aditional racial angle to all this that makes it doubly weird. But from my perspective, it was pretty fucked-up before all that anyway.

As if that weren't enough: There is a University of Colorado professor who may be fired for writing a paper that seems to be pro-terrorist. This is another one of those things that just makes my jaw drop open. You may hate what the guy wrote... I know I don't particularly agree with his point of view, but you can't just fire somebody for expressing a controversial opinion. I don't understand this country sometimes. How can we be sooooo in love with all our freedoms and then persecute people for taking advantage of them? It's like we knocked out the Taliban just so we could become the Taliban.

Ooops. Did I just say something controversial? You can't see it right now, but my undies are showing too.

Next post: 100% less ranting. I promise. I must just be having one of those days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home